Kanyashree Prakalpa scholarship is a flagship scheme of the West Bengal government for girl children. The scheme aims at improving the financial status and all-around well-being of female students in the state of West Bengal. It is an initiative by the Department of Women Development and Social Welfare or DWDNSW which comes under the government of West Bengal.
Now many of you must be wondering “What is Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme and what is so great about it?”. If you want answers to all these, then don’t go anywhere given is the article to answer all your questions and doubts about the scheme, Its benefits, and Who are the beneficiaries? Who can avail of the benefits? What is the process of getting all those benefits? What are the issues here?, and much more, so dive into the article without any wait and explore all the things in detail about this Flagship scheme Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme.
Brief About Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme
The Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme, a flagship scheme of the West Bengal government, was launched by the West Bengal government in 2012. It aims to provide every girl child in the state, an Annual scholarship of Rs. 750/- and apart from this, a one-time grant of Rs. 25,000/- (Twenty-five thousand only).
It aims to help all unmarried female students financially in the field of education, be it scholarly education or higher education. Although the scheme initially was meant for only school-going female students, in 2017 it was extended to college-going female students too, be it undergraduate students or postgraduate students.
READ MORE: WB JEMSCN Pension Scheme 2023: Everything You Should Know!
The scholarship not only focuses on studies alone, but it also focuses on sports and vocational studies too, proved by the fact that under this scheme female students from financially weak backgrounds are provided both vocational and sports training. The scholarship scheme is available for all female students in the age group of 13-19 years. The scheme not only provides for the financial independence of female students but also helps them in preventing early marriage before attaining the legal age of marriage.
Note – Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme is a conditional cash transfer scheme, that is the scholarship will be given only to the ones who meet all the conditions of the scheme.
Basic Information About The Scheme
|Official Website||Click here|
|State where it is implemented||West Bengal|
|Under which Department||Department of Women Development and Social Welfare|
|Name of Scheme||Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme|
|Type of Scheme||Flagship scheme of the West Bengal government|
|For Whom||Female Students|
|Age Group Targeted||13-19 years|
|Founder CM||Smt. Mamata Banerjee|
Scholarship Money Provided In Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme
The Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme offers money in a two-tier system until the female students achieve the age of 19 years to continue their education without any financial issues. The details of the scholarship money are provided below.
|Type of Payment||Total Scholarship Money provided||When|
|Annual payment||Rs 750/- per year||While Studying in classes 8-12|
|One-time payment||Rs 25,000/- once||After attaining the age of 18 years|
Benefits Of The Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme
Scholarships like Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme are Target-based schemes to benefit particular strata of the total population. This scheme which is particularly made for the benefit of female students in the state of West Bengal aims to achieve many things. The list and connection between all the benefits are provided for you below.
- The scheme provides financial support to female students to help them complete their schooling without having any financial issues, mostly faced by poor families who prefer completing the male children’s education rather than their female counterparts.
- Reduce the dependence of female students on their families, in turn encouraging them to complete their studies.
- The number of dropouts decreases in the female population which increases the female literacy rate, in turn increasing the overall literacy rate of the entire state.
- With an increased female literacy rate, the women workforce also increases which in turn contributes to the GDP of the country.
- The child marriage issue is also tackled as female students can complete their school and college education with financial support from the government.
- With more female literacy, the birth rate also gets controlled.
Female Education leads to complete societal Education as said in a quote, ‘Educating a man means educating one person but educating a woman means educating the whole family.’
Apart from all the benefits listed above, the Department of Technical Education, Skill Development and Training provide some special benefits to Kanyashree girls, listed below are the benefits.
- Kanyashree girls will only have to pay 50% of the cost of admission forms, registration fees, and counseling fees in JEXPO, VOCLET, and ITI courses.
- There is a reservation of 30% for Kanyashree girls in the Advanced Skill Development Scheme.
- For Kanyashree girls studying in classes 8-12, there is a reservation of 30% seats in the Vocational development program.
- Kanyashree girls will be given priority in Government Polytechnic Girls hostels.
- In the Community Development Training program through Polytechnic (CDTP), there is a reservation of 30% for Kanyashree girls.
READ MORE: WB Digital Ration Card 2023: Eligibility, Application Process, Downloading Guide
Conditions To Be Qualified For Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme
The government has announced various conditions for being qualified for the Kanyashree Prakalpa scholarship scheme. The female students will be provided with scholarship cash only if they meet all of the conditions provided below in detail.
- The students must be a resident of West Bengal and have a domicile in the state.
- The female student must be of the age group 13-18 years of age.
- The student must be enrolled in classes 8 to 12.
- The student must be enrolled in a Government recognized regular school or equivalent open school or equivalent Vocational/Technical Training course or Sports activity or is an inmate of Home registered under J.J. Act 2000.
- The annual income of the female student’s family must not exceed Rs. 1,20,000/- (One lakh twenty thousand) to avail benefits of both the benefits of scholarships. (Note- This condition is not applicable to the ones who have lost both parents, is physically challenged (40% disability), or is an inmate of J.J.’s home.)
- The female student applying for this scheme must be unmarried at the time to be eligible.
How To Apply For The Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme
There are several benefits of the Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme that all the unmarried girl children in the state can avail of by following some simple steps, the procedure of which is shared below in detail. (Note- Female students must have a bank account in their names before applying for this scheme.)
- Visit the office of your educational institution to get a scholarship form from there.
- Fill in all the necessary information required from you, which may consist of your personal information including your name, father’s name, mother’s name, address, etc., your educational qualifications, and Details of your school.
- After filling up the form, sign it yourself and get it signed by your parents and your school principal, or as per requirements.
- Submit the application to the office along with all the necessary documents required of you (provided below) and get an official stamp on it.
- Your application is submitted, make sure you have your registration number with you for future use.
The documents required during the submission of the application form are given below.
- Birth certificate.
- Income certificate of family.
- Certificate of admission into the educational institution.
- Bank passbook photocopy.
- Declaration of being unmarried.
- Aadhar card.
- Certificate of disability photocopy (If applicable).
Q1. Is the scheme available for a girl aged 17 years?
Yes, the scheme is available for all female candidates between the age group 13-18 who are currently studying in any government-recognized school.
Q2. How can I apply for the Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme?
To apply for the Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme, visit the official website of the Kanyashree Prakalpa Scheme under the West Bengal government.
Q3. How much scholarship money is given to the beneficiaries of the Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme?
The scholarship money is given in two tiers, one is an annual payment of Rs. 750/-each year for the students studying in classes 8-12 and the other one is a one-time payment of Rs. 25,000/- given to the student once she attains the age of 18 years.
Q4. What is the age limit for the Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme?
The age of the female students must be between 13 years and 19 years. So the maximum age limit of the students for this scheme is 19 years.
Q5. My family's annual income is Rs.1,50,000/-, am I eligible to sign up for the Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme?
No, as the government has applied a condition that the family income should be less than Rs. 1,20,000 per annum for a girl to avail of the benefits of the scheme.
Q6. Who launched the Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme and when?
The Mamata Banerjee government launched the Kanyashree Prakalpa Scholarship Scheme in 2012 for school-going female students, and extended it to college-going female students too, in 2017.
READ MORE: Bikash Bhavan Scholarship 2023: How To Apply For The Process?