A Polytechnic is an educational vocational course or a diploma course that primarily focuses on providing technical education. In India, the Polytechnic course is a three-year program at the end of its competition the students receive their certificates. This diploma course is a dynamic and progressive experience of learning and the interest of students to study this course is rapidly rising.
Polytechnic Course gives excellent practical exposure in a very short time duration which gives this course an upper hand and a stress-free environment to study. The students who belong to the financially and economically weaker sections of society but who wish to pursue higher studies can easily opt for this course. The fee for Polytechnic Diploma is very economical.
Polytechnic Courses can provide technical courses which are related to the engineering domain or the non-technical domain such as design, journalism, mass communication, etc. Students can switch their fields and degrees easily and efficiently with the help of Polytechnic courses. Most of the Polytechnic Courses are offered by Government Institutions but there are also many famous Private Institutions.
This article sums up almost everything related to the Polytechnic Course, the eligibility criteria required, the list of Polytechnic Top colleges, Polytechnic Colleges, and examination pattern and syllabus of and in West Bengal, and everything that the student has to know before applying for the Polytechnic course and colleges in India.
Eligibility Criteria For Polytechnic Course
There is not any age restriction for the students to be eligible for the Polytechnic course.
The students should have passed with at least a minimum of 40% marks in the 10th standard.
Only students who have passed the 12th standard or completed a bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree can opt for the diploma-level Polytechnic course.
Advantages Of Polytechnic Course
1. Minimum Time Duration
Students can opt for this course right after the completion of the 10th standard. But they can also select the course after completing their 12th standard. As the student will register for a bachelor’s program like engineering it will take those six years to complete the course but in the case of Polytechnic courses, the student can get a good job after three years only. Polytechnic course offers a good job in minimum time duration.
A Polytechnic course is way cheaper than the 12th standard fee. So, a lot of people opt for Polytechnic courses when they are financially weak but wish to pursue higher education. As compared to top engineering colleges, Many Polytechnic colleges are owned by the government or at least are government affiliated and thus have minimal fees [approximately Rs. 3000/- to Rs. 10,000/-].
3. Worry Free
Polytechnic course is a stress-free course. The students are not stressed out about the completion and deadlines of homework and class work or the submission of assignments. Instead of stressing out the student, this course focuses on improving and improving practical skills and less theoretical work with even less stress.
4. Changing Of Streams
If the student decides that they want to change streams and opt for another degree later, the Polytechnic course offers the option of changing the streams
5. Excellent Practical Knowledge And Exposure
The students of Polytechnic courses start learning and gaining knowledge about their respective fields at a very early stage of their course as compared to the engineering students who opt for the same set of subjects. The Polytechnic course focuses on skill development and practical exposure for the students that also help to make them more job-ready and hence provide several opportunities.
Admission Or Selection Process In West Bengal
Students have to go through an admission procedure to opt for the Polytechnic course in India. There are different examinations held in each different state of India and the students are selected based on the marks that they have achieved in the examination.
In West Bengal, the entrance examination for the Polytechnic course is JEXPO which stands for the Joint Entrance Examination for Polytechnics. This examination is organized by the WBSCTE.
Syllabus Of JEXPO
The Joint Entrance Examination for Polytechnics examination will have two papers. The first paper will be on mathematics and the second paper will be on Physics and Chemistry.
|Name of the Subject||Syllabus|
|Mathematics||Trigonometry, Real Numbers, Mean, Median And Mode, Permutation and Combination, Ratio and Proportion, Simple interest and Compound Interest, Quadratic Equations, Internal and External Division of Straight Line Segments, Triangles, Logarithm, Distance Formula, Speed and Time, Statistics, Profit and Loss, Linear Equations, Circles, Transversal Problems, Factorization, Law of Indices, Coordinate Geometry, etc.|
|Chemistry||Organic Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Metallurgy, Atomic Nucleus, Electrochemistry and Reactions, Current Electricity, Thermodynamics, Thermal Phenomenon, Ionic and Covalent Bonding, Chemical Calculations, Periodic Table, Behavior of Gases, Properties of Elements, Atomic Structure, Mole concept and Matter, Acid, Bases and Salts, Separation of components of mixtures and Waters, etc.|
|Physics||Working on Our Environment, Work, Power and Energy, Sound, Heat, Sources of Energy, Force and Motion, Measurements and Methods, Refraction and Reflection of light, Electricity, Structure of the world of color and the Human Eye, Electromagnetic principles|
List Of Top Colleges For Polytechnic Courses In India
The list of top Polytechnic colleges and where they are situated
|Top Colleges of West Bengal||Location|
|APC Ray Polytechnic||Jadavpur|
|MBC Institute of Engineering & Technology||Sadhanpur, Bardhan|
|Ramakrishna Mission Shilpapitha||Belgharia|
|Jnan Chandra Ghosh Polytechnic||Kolkata|
|Central Calcutta Polytechnic||Kolkata|
|Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Polytechnic||Berachampa|
|North Calcutta Polytechnic||Kolkata|
|BPC Institute of Technology||Krishnagar|
|Birla Institute of Technology||Kolkata|
Polytechnic Colleges In West Bengal
- North 24 Parganas
- Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Polytechnic
- Adyapeath Annada Polytechnic College
- Bcda College of Pharmacy and Technology Campus 2
- Camellia School of Engineering and Technology
- Central Tool Room and Training Centre
- Elitte Institute of Engineering and Management (Polytechnic)
- Eminent College of Pharmaceutical Technology
- Bankura Government Polytechnic
- Bishnupur Public Institute of Engineering (Polytechnic)
- Institute of Pharmacy
- K.G. Engineering Institute
- Mallabhum Institute of Polytechnic
- Raipur Government Polytechnic
- Bipradas Palchowdhury Institute of Technology
- Gayeshpur Government Polytechnic
- Global Institute of Management and Technology
- Institute of Pharmacy
- JIS School of Polytechnic
- Mirmadan Mohanlal Government Polytechnic
- Ranaghat Government Polytechnic
- Dakshin Dinajpur
- Gangarampur Government Polytechnic
- Hilli Government Polytechnic
- Basantika Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Bengal Institute of Polytechnic
- Bengal Institute of Technology and Management
- HSB Polytechnic
- LCG Institute of Polytechnic
- Murarai Government Polytechnic
- Nalhati Government Polytechnic
- Rampurhat Government Polytechnic
- Arambagh Government Polytechnic
- Camellia Institute of Technology and Management
- Elite Polytechnic Institute
- Hooghly Institute of Technology
- KPS Institute of Polytechnic
- Modern Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Bcare Institute of Management and Technology (Polytechnic)
- Berhampore Polytechnic College
- Discovery Institute of Polytechnic
- Dumkal Polytechnic
- Gobindapur Polytechnic College
- Jakir Hossain Institute of Pharmacy
- Jakir Hossain Institute of Polytechnic
- Cooch Behar
- Cooch Behar Polytechnic
- Tufanganj Government Polytechnic
- Falakata Polytechnic
- Imps Polytechnic College
- Jalpaiguri Polytechnic Institute
- Maynaguri Government Polytechnic
- Rajganj Government Polytechnic
- Acharyya Prafulla Chandra Ray Polytechnic
- Birla Institute of Technology
- Camellia Institute of Technology
- Central Calcutta Polytechnic
- Jnan Chandra Ghosh Polytechnic
- Kingston Polytechnic College
- Bharat Technology
- Calcutta Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology and Allied Health Sciences
- Calcutta Institute of Technology
- Engineering Institute for Junior Executives
- Ramakrishna Mission Shilpamandira
- Ghani Khan Choudhury Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Malda Polytechnic
- Ratua Satyendra Nath Bose Government Polytechnic
- Kalna Polytechnic
- Kanad Institute of Engineering and Management
- Kanyapur Polytechnic
- Luthfaa Polytechnic Institute
- MBC Institute of Engineering and Technology
- Memari Government Polytechnic
- NS Polytechnic College
- Paschim Medinipur
- Ghatal Government Polytechnic
- Institute of Science and Technology
- Institute of Science and Technology
- Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar Polytechnic
- Medinipur Sadar Government Polytechnic
- P. G. Institute of Medical Sciences
- South 24 Parganas
- Central Footwear Training Centre
- Diamond Harbour Government Polytechnic
- Greater Kolkata College of Engineering and Management
- JLD College of Engineering and Management
- Pailan Technical Campus
- Shree Ramkrishna Institute of Science and Technology
- Utter Dinajpur
- Islampur Government Polytechnic
- Raiganj Polytechnic
- Baghmundi Government Polytechnic
- Bundwan Polytechnic
- Purulia Polytechnic
- Raghunathpur Government Polytechnic
- Purba Medinipur
- Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology
- Contai Polytechnic
- Dr. Meghnad Saha Institute of Technology
- Global Institute of Science and Technology
- Kolaghat Government Polytechnic
- Darjeeling Polytechnic
- Siliguri Government Polytechnic
The Private Institutions and Government Institutions of India offer a wide range of courses like
- Polytechnic Diploma in Non-Technical Domains such as Art and Science Etc.
- Polytechnic Diploma in Technical Domain such as Engineering.
|Non-Technical Domain||Pharmacy, Journalism, Fashion Designing and Dress Making, Mass Media and Communication, Business Management, Animation Arts, Interior Design and Decoration, Textile Design, Library and Information Sciences, Journalism, Electronic and Telecommunications, etc.|
|Technical Domain||Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgy Engineering, Power Engineering, Automobile Engineering, Agricultural Engineering, Plastics Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, IT Engineering, Biotechnology Engineering, Diploma in Textile Engineering, Computer Science Engineering, electrical, etc.|
Polytechnic Courses provide good opportunities for students in a very short duration of time. Students gain exposure to practical knowledge which help in the development of job-ready skills in students. Several career opportunities have been provided which are both exciting and lucrative. Both the Private Sector and the Public Sector look out for Polytechnic students and provide them with many job opportunities.
Some Polytechnic Students opt for self-employment. They are trained with the application-oriented perspective of the business. For example, an automobile engineering student can begin their own automobile repair store or garage. The students are taught the basics of business and the course offers opportunities for students who have business minds.
1. Job opportunities In the Private Sector
Private companies that deal in construction, electronics, communications, and manufacturing usually look out for Polytechnic students. Private companies such as
- Airlines such as Indigo, Jet Airways, Etc.
- Mechanical Engineering firms like Voltas, Hindustan Unilever, etc.
- Power and Electrical Companies such as Tata Power, Seimens, and Bombay Suburban Electric Supply [BSES]
- Automobile Companies like Mahindra Bajaj Auto, Maruti Suzuki, TATA Motors, etc.
- Communication companies such as Reliance Communications, Idea Cellular, etc.
- Construction Companies such as Jaypee Associated, Unitech, Mitas, etc.
2. Job Opportunities In Public Sector / Public Sector Undertaking [PSU]
The public sectors provide excellent job opportunities for the students of Polytechnic diploma students in India in both the engineering and non-engineering fields of candidates.
- Indian Army
- Indian Railways
- Indian Petro Chemicals Limited [IPSL]
- Irrigation Departments
- Gas Authority of India Limited [GAIL]
- National Thermal Power Corporation
Polytechnic Courses After 10th Standard
Students sometimes opt for Polytechnic courses just after passing the 10th-grade examination instead of doing 11th and 12th. Some of the Polytechnic courses for these students are
- Diploma Certificate in Mechanical Engineering
The students who want a more practical approach, less theoretical work, and a stress-free environment can opt for a diploma in mechanical engineering diploma after the 10th standard.
- Diploma Certificate in Computer Engineering
Compared to the computer engineering field this Polytechnic course has drastically grown in the years. With the rise of the information and technology sector, computer courses have rapidly increased in both diplomae as well as engineering fields.
- Diploma Certificate in Civil Engineering
The civil engineering field is one of the popular ones amongst students as students have an interest in the field and would opt to go for construction. It is a good and opportunistic thing to find both diploma and engineering courses available for the field.
There are many other courses for which students can opt for the Polytechnic courses.
Polytechnic Courses After 12th standard
Some students opt for Polytechnic Courses after passing the 10th standard and some students apply for this course after passing the 12th standard. Some of the Polytechnic courses that a student can opt for if they are confused and in dilemma after passing the 12th standard examination are
- Diploma in Pharmacy
This course is more advanced than the other Polytechnic or diploma courses and the interest of students in this course is rapidly increasing. If the student is also interested in studying medicine they can surely opt for this Polytechnic course.
- Modern-Day Office Practice
As the Polytechnic course prepares the students and enhances their job-ready skills, the modern-day office practice involves practices such as secretarial, administrative, or accounting level practices. It allows people to learn how to run an office and do the daily office work tasks and manage things efficiently for any organization.
It is wise to opt for a certificate course rather than the normal degree course for this job. The course is specifically designed for people who aspire to become skilled technicians. If the student wants the job as soon as the diploma finishes then this course is for you.
Other courses include Quality Assurance Inspector, Electrical Engineering PTD, post diploma courses in tractors, CAD, autos, etc. and every single one of them required the student to have passed the 12th standard examination.
Scope Of Polytechnic Diploma In India
The Polytechnic course offers great exposure to practical knowledge, enhances skill development of Job ready skills in students, and provides amazing job opportunities in the public sector and private sectors. Therefore, one must conclude that Polytechnic Course has a great scope in India.
Students can also switch fields and their degrees but a Polytechnic course will always impress the officials. Polytechnic course also provides a better foothold based on practical learning and less theatrical learning. Many government-owned and private Institutions provide good placements for students of Polytechnic courses in India.
How To Fill Out The Registration Form For The Polytechnic Course
- The students have to go to the official website and the students can fill out the registration form in English language only.
- Now, the students have to fill out the registration form with all the necessary details required in the form like educational qualifications, personal details of the candidate, etc.
- Students also have to upload the necessary required passport-size photographs and signatures along with the documents for verification of the student.
- The documents which will be asked for the verification of the student will include an Aadhar card number or any identity proof, Address proof, Work experience, caste certificate [if any], etc.
- After filling out the details and submitting all the documents the students now has to submit the registration form for the Polytechnic course and take a printout of the registration form for further use.
Polytechnic Course Admit Card
- To get the admit card days before the examination, the student has to go to the official website and click on their state.
- As the home page will open, the student has to go to the option to download the admit card a few days before the examination.
- Students will be asked to log in by using their registration number and password which was created when the student was able to register successfully.
- As the student will fill out the application number and password correctly, the admit card will appear on the screen and students will be able to take download it and take the printout for further use.
- The personal details of the student will be mentioned in the admit card such as the exam center, Applicant’s roll number, Photograph, and signature of the candidate, Date of birth, examinations date and timings, etc.
Students will not be eligible to appear for the entrance examination of the Polytechnic course in case they do not bring the admit card to the exam center. They will not be allowed to enter nor will be able to give the examination.
Q1. What do you mean by Polytechnic Courses?
It is a vocational or diploma course that is provided by any institute that targets technical education. Polytechnic courses are only three-year courses that result in a certificate upon completion of the course.
Q2. Which of the Polytechnic branch can be best for the future?
As, those students are always in high demand, who understand and have known their work, the best diploma branch would be Mechanical Engineering. There are different sorts of production and all are covered in the mechanical engineering branch.
Q3. Types of Polytechnic courses that can be pursued after 10th grade?
These are a few courses
- Graduate Certificate in Marketing Management,
- Diploma in Animation and Art & Design,
- Diploma in Petroleum Engineering,
- Diploma in Business Administration,
- Diploma in Computer Science and Engineering,
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering,
- Diploma in Accounting,
- Diploma in Hospitality Management, and
- Diploma in Electronics and Electrical Engineering.
4. How can an individual prepare for the Polytechnic entrance examination?
Go through the complete textbook (NCERT and any other references) and make short notes of topics if necessary, Use any study guide textbooks that are related to your entrance exams, Solve the past few year’s question papers, as almost 20 to 30% of them will be coming in the current year’s examination, Focus more on the basics and basic formulas or concepts and create mind maps, and Do practice over and over to gain skills in solving and answering questions, with speed and accuracy.
Q5. What to do after a Polytechnic Diploma Course?
It is a technical degree that will get the students a good job on its own. Although, there is a list of careers that can be chosen after the completion of the Polytechnic course
- Public Sector Jobs,
- AMIE Certification,
- BTech Lateral Entry Scheme,
- Private Sector Jobs, and
Q6. Can an individual do BTech after a Polytechnic course?
Yes, an individual can go for pursuing BTech following graduation, and so this will provide more understanding about the field and raise job and career possibilities. If BTech is done following the diploma, it will also save a year of BTech, as the second year will begin directly.
Q7. What are the subjects available at Polytechnic?
The subjects those are offered in Polytechnic diploma in India are
- Mechanical Engineering,
- Civil Engineering,
- Electrical Engineering,
- Computer Science and Engineering,
- Chemical Engineering,
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering,
- Automobile Engineering,
- Fashion Engineering,
- Biotechnology Engineering,
- Aeronautical Engineering,
- Petroleum Engineering,
- Art and Craft, and
Q8. Is a Polytechnic diploma course equivalent to 12th grade?
Yes, the diploma course is equivalent to the 12th class, but maybe more. Although, the course doesn’t have any disadvantages. It’s just that, the individual has to spend one more year pursuing the course that is 10th class+3 years of diploma. If confused, there are some approaches an individual can take about their careers after the 12th grade/diploma.
Q9. Is a Polytechnic diploma course equivalent to graduation (bachelor's degree)?
No, a diploma course cannot be equivalent to a bachelor’s degree as it just provides a certificate of diploma on completion which is not equivalent to a degree of bachelor’s. In other words, these courses are not so much advanced as the graduation courses. Although, students can choose to do graduation courses following their diploma.